Curacao eGaming has established a series of rules and regulations to promote fair, ethical, and transparent gameplay. Laws in Curacao require that all players be at least 18 years of age or older and the age of all players must be verified. Curacao eGaming regulations also require online casinos to protect the interests of their guests and provide an unbiased gaming experience.
Curacao eGaming has rules in place that help govern customer privacy and protection concerns. License holders must adhere to anti-fraud measures to minimize the risk of criminal activity and to keep players’ funds protected at all times. You can determine if an online gambling site has received a license from the Curacao eGaming Authority as license holders are required to display an official license seal.
Curacao eGaming requires license holders to retain a full audit trail of all players who make deposits. These online casinos must also provide third-party auditors full access to their gaming systems and back-end systems. Licensed casinos are not permitted to accept wagers from the Netherlands Antilles.
While the licensing process is fairly straightforward, the enforcement of rules and regulations leaves a lot to be desired. The Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority does not require third-party RNG certification, there are no set timelines for payments, and there is a lack of procedures in terms of problem gambling.
As there is a general lack of protection for customers and no advertising standards concerning the realistic possibility of wins, Curacao eGaming has developed a bad reputation. Today, many North American and European countries have prohibited online casinos that hold a Curacao license from accessing their players.
Obtaining a gaming license from the Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority is usually quick and uncomplicated. This is because unlike more reputable licensing authorities, Curacao eGaming lacks a rigorous vetting system which means that some dodgy casino operators are receiving licenses which results in a poor gaming experience for customers.
The Curacao Internet Gaming Association operates under the Curacao Minister of Justice. Online operators looking to obtain a license from the Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority must be established as a local entity certified by the Curacao Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The Curacao Ministry of Justice also requires applicants to go through a six-week investigation process.
Applicants may be asked to provide certain documentation that has been dated within the last 90 days. This may include:
- Certified scans of passports for all owners
- Original or certified copies of utility bills
- Original bank references for all owners
- Descriptions of all gaming software used and games offered
- Geographic or target market
- Confirmation of random number generator (RNG) application and third-party certification
- Signed declaration from all owners stating that the site offers information about gambling problems and addition
- Proof that minors are denied access to online gaming
- Details about the transaction database
- Three-year financial feasibility study
Once an online operator has been cleared by the Curacao Ministry of Justice, they may qualify for one of two iGaming licenses.
- Issued by the Ministry of Justice, a ‘master license’ covers all types of online gaming, such as sports betting, lottery, games of skill and chance, and casinos. With a master license, online gaming sites are legally allowed to conduct eGaming activities within the Island Territory of Curacao. Master licenses are granted for a five-year term with automatic renewal.
- Another type of license an online operator may qualify for is a sub-license. This license type grants the same rights as a master license. The main difference between a master license and sub-license is that operators with a master license have the ability to issue sub-licenses to third parties. A sub-license remains indefinitely valid based on the validly of the master license.
The total cost for obtaining a gambling license from the Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority is approximately $34,000. However, the license is not actually a gambling license but rather permission to operate an online gambling business in the jurisdiction.
Whenever you play for real money at an online casino, it is crucial that you choose a gambling site that is licensed by a reputable gambling jurisdiction.
Due to the poor reputation of the Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority, it is important to use caution when playing at online casinos that have a license from this jurisdiction. While the Government of Curacao promises to make changes to improve the supervision of online casinos in the jurisdiction, this has yet to be seen.
Examples of online casinos that hold a Curacao eGaming license includes BoVegas, Cherry Gold Casino, Exclusive Casino, Red Dog Casino, and Golden Lion Casino.