Help in Case of Problem Gambling
Many people enjoy casino gaming without it ever becoming a problem. However, for those with compulsive tendencies, gambling can quickly transition from fun entertainment to a serious addiction. If you or someone you know is currently struggling with problem gambling, know that help is available.
Many online casinos have responsible gaming features that help compulsive gamblers gain better control over their gaming behaviors. There are also a variety of tools and apps available for computers, smartphones, and other devices that can block or regulate casino gaming activities.
Promoting Responsible Gambling
Most legitimate online casinos have policies and regulations in place to ensure that all gambling activities are responsible and legal. For example, you must be at least 18 years old or the legal gambling age in your country to participate in casino games. When creating an account, online casinos collect information like name, address, and date of birth. If a player is found to be under the legal gambling age, all of their winnings may be forfeited and the offender could face criminal prosecution.
In addition to preventing underage gambling, many online casinos offer tools that help compulsive gamblers better control their gaming habits. Casinos often allow account holders to set betting limits to help minimize the risk of overspending. Players can also gain access to data that shows how much they have spent on bets. This information can be useful when establishing a gambling budget.
Security tools are also used to ward against criminal activities that could put players at risk. Software monitoring capabilities delivers players with a secure gambling environment.
If you are not able to manage your gambling habits on your own, most online casinos have a responsible gambling page that provides options like self-exclusion. Self-exclusion is a voluntary process in which a person who has a gambling issue is able to exclude themselves from specific online gambling websites.
If you feel like you will be able to manage your compulsive gambling in the future, you can choose to temporarily limit your account for a specific amount of time. During this self-exclusion period, you will not be able to reopen your account and you will be temporarily banned from playing any casino games.
If your problem gambling has become an addition or obsession, you may want to close your account entirely. Most casinos have features in place that allow you to close your account permanently and your account will not be reopened for any reason. However, it is important to note that closing your account can take time in some instances, such as if there is a pending withdrawal that needs to be completed.
Apps that Limit Online Gambling
Modern technology has made it easy to gain access to gambling websites with just a touch of a button. Unfortunately, avoiding these websites when you have a gambling addiction can be challenging. To help overcome your addiction, try installing an app specifically designed to block online gambling.
Some of the top apps to consider include:
– With BetBlocker, you can control your gambling on as many devices as you’d like. Once activated, the app cannot be removed until your chosen restriction length has expired. BetBlocker is available for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS.
– Net Nanny is a general internet filtering tool that can be used to block certain types of content, such as gambling. The app also has a screen time management tool that allows you to limit your time gambling by scheduling when you are able to access the internet.
– Similar to BetBlocker, GamBlock blocks access to online gambling websites. The app can be used on multiple devices and includes options like self-exclusion and managed-exclusion.
– With Betfilter, you can stop and block online gambling on any device. Blocking software is available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, is easy to install, and is 100% discrete.
– This unique app for iPhone and Android was specifically created to help curb addictions. Relapse prevention tools and customizable features help discourage gamblers from partaking in damaging gaming activities by providing encouragement and recovery information.
Problem Gambling Helplines
U.S. & Canada
The National Problem Gambling Helpline consists of 28 call centers that are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Online chat and text services are also available. Call 1-800-522-4700.
The National Gambling Helpline also provides confidential services to problem gamblers in the U.K. The free helpline is available 7 days a week from 8 AM to midnight. Call 0808 8020 133.
GamCare is a leading provider for support for people affected by gambling addiction in Great Britain. The online chat service can be accessed via smartphone, desktop PC, laptop, or tablet.
The Gambling Helpline is open 24 hours a day in Australia. You can also gain access to self-help tools and other information. Call 1-800-858-858.