Casino Strategies Easily Explained
Despite what some may think, gambling is not always the luck of the draw. While it’s true that the house edge exists in all games, players can develop strategies to improve their odds.
Casino strategies do not guarantee a win every time, but you are more likely to walk away with more money than you started with when you make decisions based on strategy rather than chance.
Remember, the odds are in the casino’s favor and your chance of winning can range from game to game. But no risk, no reward. Enhance your online gaming experience by learning and implementing the following casino strategies.
Play Games with the Lowest House Edge
Why do casinos win the majority of the time? It’s because of the house edge. The house edge refers to the mathematical advantage that casinos have over players. Casinos make a guaranteed profit by not paying true odds. However, some casino games have a lower house edge than others.
If you want to take advantage of a low house edge, you have a few great options. Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games as it’s easy to learn, affordable, and has a minimal house advantage. Compare blackjack which has a house advantage of 1.5% with roulette which has a house advantage of 5.26%. The house edge can make or break your wallet.
Other games with a fairly low house edge include baccarat and video poker. Play these casino games and you instantly increase your odds of winning.
What’s great about the house edge is that players can use it to guide them in the direction of the most profitable games. However, it is important to understand that the house edge is variable in some cases. This isn’t based on the casino necessarily, but from certain conditions within the game.
If you’re looking to increase your odds of walking away with some money, try your luck at the following casino games which have the lowest house edge:
- Blackjack (Single Deck) –1.5%
- Craps –5 to 1.4%
- Baccarat –1.5%
- Three Card Poker –1.5%
- Video Poker –5 to 0.5%
- Slots –2 to 10%
- Roulette (Single Zero) –2.5%
- Pai Gow Poker –2.5%
- Caribbean Stud Poker –5%
- Backgammon –6.39 to 4.82%
Try Your Luck in Tournaments
Seasoned gamblers often rave about the advantages of tournaments. Why? Because tournaments can mean big winnings. While some players don’t mind playing games with a low jackpot, others have the mentality that is “go big or go home.”
With a tournament, you’ll need to pay a flat fee up front. However, winning the tournament could mean a substantial payout that is exponentially more than your original buy-in fee. These rewards are often given to not just the first-place player, but also the second- and third-place players which increases your odds of profiting even more.
Poker tournaments are one of the most widely-played games but requires attention to detail throughout the process. All poker tournaments have three stages: a beginning, middle, and late stage. Many players make the mistake of playing each stage in the same way but they should play the late stage in a more aggressive manner.
To make the final tables more consistently, remember to keep pressure on short-stacks and look for players who are tightening up. If you end up being deep-stacked near the end, don’t be afraid to open up your game by stealing the blinds more often. In the late stages, these blinds can be fairly large.
While there’s no need to limit your casino game play to just tournaments, joining a tournament on occasion can be a satisfying experience.
Avoid Card Counting in Online Casinos
Card counting is a well-known casino card game strategy typically used in blackjack. This strategy works by keeping a mental tally of certain cards as the dealer plays through the deck. There is an equal number of low and high cards in the deck which allows innovative players the opportunity to determine what card is likely to come next.
While casinos have invested extensive time and money into deterring card counting, these systems are still effective in brick-and-mortar gaming halls. However, card counting doesn’t fare well for online players. In fact, counting cards in online casino games is pretty much impossible. While you could try to keep track of the cards, most online games have decks that are shuffled and reshuffled behind the scenes.
The one exception is live casino games. When you play blackjack live, you are able to see the cards and the dealer live on a webcam. As live blackjack provides a more realistic experience, observant players may be able to count cards and make more informed decisions based on the dealer’s reactions. However, this concept only works if the live dealer does not use a continuous shuffle machine (CSM) as this makes it nearly impossible to keep an accurate count.
Choose Your Slot Games Wisely
When it comes to slots, it’s all about luck. However, there is a trick to choosing slots which could increase your winnings in the long run. Start by finding several slots that you’re interested in and look at the differences in paytables. Choose one that is likely to offer the best return on investment.
Also check the game’s return to player, or RTP. This is the amount of money that a casino is required by law to be paid back to players over time. Ideally, you want to choose a slot with an RTP of between 95 and 97%.
Before settling on a slot game, look at its volatility. This refers to the way the game is paid out. Slots with a low volatility will pay out small amounts most of the time. Slots with a high volatility will not pay out very often, but when they do it’s a more significant amount. If you prefer the smaller but more consistent wins, opt for a low volatility slot. If you’re aiming for that big payout, a high volatility game is the way to go.
Unlike many other casino games where skill and knowledge of the game can give you an advantage, slots are based solely on luck. However, if you still enjoy slots and want to increase your odds of winning a few bucks, here’s what you should do:
- Locate slots with the highest RTP. Mega Joker (99.00%), Jackpot 6000 (98.86%), Lucky Mermaid (98.50%), and Jack Hammer 2 (97.10%) are just a few examples of the top slot machines with a high RTP.
- Play the max number of paylines. You can maximize your chances of getting a winning line by always playing the total number of paylines available.
- Play slots that offer bonus games. While not all slots offer bonus levels or free spins, finding slots that have these perks can increase your chances of winning money.
- Don’t fall for highly-promoted slots. If you go to a casino website and see certain slots being highly promoted, there is a good chance these slots don’t pay well. Do a little digging and find slots on the second or third page which could win you more cash.
- Make higher bets. Don’t expect to wage a penny or dime and win big. This rarely happens. Payouts on slot machines are proportional to what you wager in a game. Although wagering higher denominations can be risky, the payout when you win is worth it.
- Ask other players about slot games. Seasoned gamblers are not afraid to call out games that don’t pay well. Look for reviews, read forums, or converse with other players in Facebook gambling groups and learn which slot games are most profitable and which to stay away from.
Learn Strategies for Individual Games
Whether you’re interested in playing casino games for fun or actually want to make money, learning strategies for some of the most popular casino games is key to your success. Most strategies rely on your familiarity of the game and its rules. By understanding these concepts, you can increase your odds of winning by minimizing the house edge.
Here are some game-specific strategies to be aware of:
Without a solid strategy in place, you are essentially throwing your money away when playing blackjack. If possible, find a game that uses as few decks as possible – i.e. single deck blackjack. However, this can be difficult to find in online casinos. Even online, playing with fewer decks can help you learn the game better.
Strategies regarding the game of craps are often centered around players knowing which bets to lay and which bets to avoid. One of the most common craps strategies involving placing free odds on line bets. Free odds are added by placing chips behind your original bet on a line. The number of free odds you can add depends on the casino and can range from twice up to one hundred times your original bet.
Video Poker Strategy
Video poker offers some of the highest odds in the casino while also allowing players the opportunity to influence the outcome of the game. The worst mistake you can make when playing video poker is simply guessing. The return on a video poker machine is based on the game’s paytable. On average, a casino profits about 3% on each play in video poker.
Baccarat is a popular betting game that uses logics and rules. One common strategy used in baccarat involves taking one side (Player or Banker). If you implement this strategy correctly, the odds of reaching a winning position is about 3:1. This strategy works because both the Player and Banker gain an advantage at some point during a shoe.
While keno may seem like it’s all about luck, there are actually skills you can develop that increase your chance at winning. One of the biggest questions new players ask is how many numbers should they choose. If you have the option to pick up to 15 or 20 numbers, you ideally want to select 4 to 8.
Roulette can be a tough game to master but the rewards are worth the effort. First, start by identifying the dealer signature. This refers to the way that the croupier consistently aims the ball so that it ends up in a similar segment of the wheel. Note that this only works in live roulette.
Understand How Betting Systems Work
Casino betting systems refer to methods that use your bankroll strategically to produce a profit. Most betting systems are designed to be easy to follow. However, that doesn’t mean they’re foolproof. While most betting systems can help you win in the short-term, they are not a long-term solution to winning.
There are two main types of betting systems: positive progressive and negative progressive betting systems. These two concepts are based on adjusting the size of your stake depending on whether or not your previous bet won. In a positive progression, you would increase your stakes when you win and decrease your stakes when you lose. In a negative progression, you would do the opposite and increase your stakes when you lose and decrease your stakes when you win.
Some of the most popular betting systems used in casinos include:
- The Martingale – The Martingale betting system is easy to learn and theoretically creates a profit every time. With this system, you are to double your bets after each loss which allows you to always win back your losses while also producing a small profit. What makes it so successful is that you’ll always win your money back as long as you have the funds to sustain this method.
- 1-3-2-6 – The 1-3-2-6 betting system is primarily used in craps, baccarat, and roulette, as well as in long-winning streaks in blackjack. The system works by repeatedly betting on 1, 3, 2, and 6 units in each round when you have winnings. If you have losses, only wager one unit until you win.
- The Labouchere – This betting system is similar to the Martingale but tends to be more favorable among roulette players. With this method, you take a row of numbers (each number represents betting units), and you add the first and last numbers. After each loss, add this number as a bet to the end of the line.
- The Paroli – Also referred to as “parley,” this betting system works by increasing your bet as you win. For example, if you win a 10 unit bet and the next bet is 20, you win that bet and the next one will be 40 units.
- The D’Alembert – The D’Alembert, otherwise known as Gambler’s Fallacy, is based on the theory that everything balances out eventually. For example, if the number 14 came up a lot in the previous 100 spins, don’t bet on it because it’s unlikely to show up again.
Don’t Forget About Bonuses
Many online casinos offer great bonuses to get people to sign up or register with their site. Don’t hesitate to accept these freebies as they can lead to free money. From welcome bonuses to loyalty offers, go ahead and claim as many as you qualify for. However, you’ll want to review the terms and conditions on these bonuses before you claim them.